The Cash App is one of the top finance apps in terms of monthly users in the US. It’s extensively used by merchants as it allows for immediate, irreversible payments. But sometimes, they can incur chargebacks when a customer decides to dispute a purchase made through the app. When a user files a Cash App dispute, the recipient of the payment has around 7 to 14 days to respond to it. When a customer disputes a transaction, Cash App investigates their claim and resolves the problem. Funds are returned to the cardholder if the investigation proves that the merchant did not provide the needed services to the customer or is a fraud.
What Is the Cash App Dispute Process?
Customers can file a Cash App dispute to undo a transaction. A transaction can be disputed if the customer has contacted the merchant but cannot resolve the transaction. The Cash App dispute method is as follows:
- Touch the ‘Activity’ tab on the home screen of the app.
- Now, choose the transaction you want to dispute.
- On the top-right portion of the screen, tap the three-dot button.
- Choose ‘Need help & Cash App Support.’
- Finally, touch ‘Dispute the transaction.’
POINT TO NOTE: The Cash App dispute number is 1-800-969-1940. On this number, you can explain your problem to the representative. But never give your password, debit card number, social security number, or pin.
How Long Does a Cash App Dispute Take?
Once the Cash App support team is notified of the dispute, they will start investigating your claim. You will be given time to file a dispute with the card network. The merchant in question will be provided time to go through the transaction. It’s also good if you send a written letter to your bank as well.
It will take approximately ten days for your bank and Cash App to report back about the result. If their investigation takes more than ten, you must get a provisional refund of the money, which includes related interest or fees during the investigation process.
Which Cash App Transactions Can Be Disputed?
According to the official Cash App website, users can dispute a transaction when they don’t receive the outcome they hoped. This includes when a merchant charges you an incorrect amount or if it’s a duplicate transaction.
Apart from them, you must dispute fraudulent transactions. These are those transactions in which you did not engage. Many such fraudulent transactions occur when your Cash App account is hacked. They also occur when someone steals your Cash Card. Cash App recommends that you consistently review the transactions so it becomes easy to recognize anything suspicious.
You must contact the support team immediately if your card is lost or stolen. If the item from a merchant arrives in a damaged state, you can also use the Cash App dispute process. If the item never arrived and you can give evidence for it, you are also entitled to dispute the transaction.
Other Options to Report a Fraud by a Merchant on Cash App
Besides reporting the transaction on the Cash App, there are other methods for reporting fraud. These are as follows:
- Get your bank involved – Connect with the fraud department of your bank. Tell them what has happened on the Cash App. The professionals will provide you with the right guidance. This may include closing the account with the bank so there isn’t any more effect on your funds. You can open another account with your bank.
- Contact your local police – It’s also a good option to connect with the non-emergency number of your local police. Ask them to let you speak with the fraud department. They will file a report for you.
- File a complaint with the US FTC – The Federal Trade Commission records all the frauds and scams. You can report the incidents describing all the facts. However, don’t expect to get all your money back. They will just use your case to prevent scammers from acting again. Go to Report Fraud.ftc.gov or call 1-877-FTC-HELP.
You can file a Cash App dispute on various instances to undo a transaction. To learn more about it, call the dispute number mentioned above. Do not file invalid disputes, as it can have severe consequences.
Frequently Asked Questions
If a scammer has taken your money and you haven’t filed a dispute, you cannot get a refund. Even if Cash App finds evidence of fraud, it cannot get you a refund.
Tap the ‘Activity’ tab on the app and choose ‘Payment.’ Now, tap ‘….’ Choose ‘Refund’ followed by ‘OK.’
Yes, Cash App honors disputes on completed transactions. If the transaction is in a pending state, you must wait until it settles.
- How to Delete Cash App History
- Where Can I Load My Cash App Card Quickly?
- Cash App Not Working – Use These Fixes Now!
- How to Borrow Money From Cash app